Friday 10 April 2015

2 SAMUEL // 22:17-20


2 Samuel 22:17-20

He reached down from on high and took hold of me;
He drew me out of deep waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy,
From my foes, who were too strong for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster,
But the LORD was my support.
He brought me out into a spacious place;
He rescued me because he delighted in me.

David called out to the Lord in his troubles when he was at a stronghold of his enemies, and acknowledged the greatness of God as his deliverer. In David’s distress he called out.

The verses that come before the ones above speak of the LORD not only answering David, but of God parting the heavens, and of heaven and earth trembling with the wrath of God, who was angry at the anguish David was faced with. Verse 14: “The LORD thundered from heaven”…. Verse 15: “He shot his arrows and scattered the enemy…” Verse 16: “The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth laid bare.”
And then God appears, reaches down and pulls David out of his deep waters into a spacious place, a place where his burden was easy and his yoke was light –Matthew 11:30. The verse doesn't say David was brought into a "happy" space where everything was necessarily better, but that he was brought into a spacious place; this is a place where we can breathe and acknowledge that God is bigger than our circumstances. 

I am overwhelmed with these verses today, and am in awe of the care that God has for us, exemplified by the enthusiasm of how he delivered David from his darkness. But, believe me, it doesn’t always feel like God parts the heavens and trembles earth every time I call out to him. 
But what I do know is that when I am closed in by my troubles and call out to God, my world expands, my mind opens, my thoughts rise to thee. My troubles do not always become smaller, yet I grow stronger in order to face them; “For when I am weak then I am strong” – 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10.

When I am run dry, when I have exhausted myself in my own efforts and call out to God, living water runs through me, and I am replenished; “Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me. By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me- a prayer to the God of my life” –Psalm 42:7

Whatever your enemies are, whatever is contained in the deepest valleys of your life, whatever is wilting in the foundations of your world, God wants to expose them to bring light into your world. God can and will deliver you when you call out, for he delights in you.

I encourage you, through it all, through days of disaster or even the smallest moments of tribulation, place your eyes on God. Allow yourself to be gathered in his grace and drawn out of the waters that can otherwise overwhelm you. “From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe” – Psalm 61:2.

Lastly, I would like to share this song with you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNqo4Un2uZI

Take a moment by yourself today to listen and know he is ever constant.